Damages You Can Claim for a Slip and Fall Case
When you suffer slip and fall injuries, our Gwinnett County personal injury attorneys help you get the compensation you deserve.
Slips and falls are one of the most common types of accidents. Personal injuries you sustain as a result can leave you facing serious damages, which include being unable to work while facing a mountain of medical expenses. Even in seemingly minor cases, injuries you suffer could result in lasting impairments, resulting in future lost income and the need for ongoing medical care. It is important to be aware that you have only one chance to recover the compensation you are entitled to in these cases. Our Gwinnett County slip and fall accident attorneys detail the types of compensation available.
Seeking Damages for Slip and Fall Injuries
According to statistics from the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI), more than eight million people visit hospital emergency rooms each year due to slips and falls. This makes them one of the most common types of personal injuries. While generally referred to as ‘accidents,’ the reckless actions of property owners or managers are often to blame. Common causes include:
- Wet, slippery floors;
- Uneven tiles or torn carpeting;
- Cluttered walkways and store aisles;
- A lack of proper lighting or not having handrails in place.
When slips and falls happen due to the above or other conditions, insurance policies in place may cover some of your losses. However, it is important to remember that these companies are for-profit businesses. They have a financial motive for denying, downplaying, or otherwise disputing your claim. While we can negotiate with insurers on your behalf, a personal injury lawsuit through the Gwinnett County Civil Courts is often the better option. This can entitle you to additional damages not available through insurance claims.
Damages You May be Entitled to in a Slip and Fall Lawsuit
”Damages” refers to compensation you may be entitled to through a slip and fall lawsuit. The Georgia Code details the types of damages available, which include:
- Special damages: These are tangible costs associated with your accident or injuries, such as your current medical expenses, lost wages, or other out-of-pocket costs. This also includes compensation for any future treatment, household expenses, and losses in future earnings you may suffer due to ongoing disabilities.
- General damages: These cover intangible costs, such as the pain and suffering caused by your slip and fall injuries. These also compensate you for any loss of enjoyment in life you experience due to being unable to engage in your usual hobbies or activities. If you are married, your spouse may also be compensated for loss of services and companionship, known as loss of consortium.
- Punitive damages: This is an additional amount which may be ordered by a judge in cases where a property owner acted in a particularly willful or negligent manner and your injuries are severe.
Request a Free Consultation with Our Gwinnett County, GA Personal Injury Attorneys
To discuss the exact amount of damages you may be entitled to in a slip and fall lawsuit, reach out to Zimmerman & Associates. Contact our Gwinnett County personal injury attorneys today and request a free consultation