How Do I Get a Police Report After a Car Accident in Atlanta?

The best way to get a police report after a car accident is to contact the police department in the city or county where the accident occurred.

After a car accident that is minor enough that both cars involved are still drivable afterward, it may be both drivers’ first instinct just to exchange insurance information and then drive away, assuming that the accident was minor. Of course, driving away from the scene of a car accident, after doing only the minimum to satisfy the legal requirements to avoid getting charged with hit and run, is penny wise and pound foolish. By sticking around to obtain a police report, you could save yourself a lot of money and stress in the long run. Having a copy of the police report from your car accident can also help the Norcross car accident lawyers at Zimmerman & Associates get you a fair payout that will cover all of your accident-related losses.

Why is it Important to Get a Copy of the Police Report After a Car Accident?

Even a relatively minor accident, where no one gets injured severely enough to require medical treatment, can cause substantial financial losses, and cause the at-fault driver’s insurance premiums to increase. At the scene of the accident, the other driver might turn on their Southern charm and assure you that the accident was not your fault, but a few weeks later, you might get some scary letters from insurance companies telling you otherwise. If you file a police report, then the officer is a neutral party who saw the scene of the accident with their own eyes and heard both drivers’ versions of how the accident happened when their memory of it was fresh.

Likewise, insurance adjusters are notorious for asking you sneaky questions in recorded statements, trying to trick you into admitting fault for the accident or giving an inconsistent account. If you have a copy of the police report, you can refer to it to keep you from making mistakes when talking to the insurance claims adjusters.

Where Can You Get a Copy of the Police Report?

The best place to get a copy of the police report is from the police department of the city or county where the accident occurred. You can also request it from the Georgia State Highway Patrol (GSHP), or

Other Evidence to Gather at the Scene of a Car Accident

The police report is not the only valuable piece of evidence that you should gather from the scene of the accident. You should also take pictures of the vehicle damage and road conditions. If you have even minor injuries, you should also go to an urgent care clinic or emergency room to be examined, so that the insurance company can be sure that your injuries are due to the car accident and not from a different incident or pre-existing condition.

Contact Zimmerman & Associates About Your Car Accident Case in Atlanta

An Atlanta car accident attorney can help you get the money you need to recover your financial losses after a car accident. Contact Zimmerman & Associates in Norcross, Georgia to set up a free consultation.