Abduction and Kidnapping
Under Georgia law, charges related to abduction and kidnapping can result in serious penalties and require a strong legal defense.
Kidnapping is a serious criminal charge in Georgia. It involves removing someone from their home or other location without lawful authority or forcibly confining them in a particular area against their will. These charges can arise under a variety of different situations. Regardless of the circumstances, they require swift legal actions from an experienced and knowledgeable Gwinnett County criminal defense attorney to prevent a potentially lengthy prison sentence. At Zimmerman & Associates, you can count on us to provide the aggressive legal representation needed to protect you against a kidnapping conviction.
A Strong Legal Defense Against Kidnapping and Abduction Charges in Georgia
Under Section 16-5-40, of the Georgia Code, kidnapping is a complicated crime that can result in felony charges and a prison sentence of anywhere from 10 years to life in prison, depending on the circumstances involved. In order to be convicted, prosecuting attorneys must prove that you took the victim against their will, or isolated them, and concealed their whereabouts without having any legal authority to do so. These charges can arise in a variety of situations:
- Parental kidnapping, in which one parent takes a child without the other’s permission or against any court orders prohibiting them from doing so;
- Domestic disputes, in which a domestic partner, spouse, or other family member forces the alleged victim to go with them or prohibits them from leaving the home;
- Personal or professional disputes, in which the alleged victim is a friend or acquaintance of the accused;
- Stranger abductions, in which the alleged perpetrator is unknown to the victim.
Factors that will increase the severity of your kidnapping charges and the potential penalties you face include; if the victim was under the age of 14, if they were held for ransom, or if they suffered bodily injuries during the abduction, or as a result of being held against their will. Kidnappings and abductions in which the alleged victim was moved out of state could also result in federal charges, carrying mandatory minimum penalties.
Get Our Legal Team Fighting on Your Side
If you have been accused of kidnapping or abduction, or are currently facing these charges in the Gwinnett County Courts, you need to reach out to Zimmerman & Associates immediately. Our Norcross criminal defense attorneys act as a strong legal ally on your side, fighting for your rights and taking the actions needed to protect you against a conviction. These include:
- Reviewing all of the evidence in your case;
- Conducting our own investigations and gathering our own evidence in your favor;
- Negotiating with police and prosecutors to have your charges dropped or reduced;
- Arguing your case before a judge and jury.
Contact Our Gwinnett County, GA Kidnapping and Abduction Attorneys Today
At Zimmerman & Associates, we believe the best legal defense begins early in your case. To get our team fighting for you, call or contact our Gwinnett County criminal defense attorneys online today and request a free consultation.